The city of love is famous for its monuments and UNESCO World Heritage sites
from the times of Mughals but few people know that the city is also dotted with
many colonial structures that make the city beautiful.
St. George’s cathedral:
The St. George’s Cathedral is situated in the cantonment area of Agra. It was
designed by colonel J. T. Boileau, who was the garrison engineer looking after the
cantonment in the year 1826, it is a beautiful building of yellow and white color.
The church is restrained and the entrance can be approached through a small
vestibule with the space of inches. The beautiful church is a decorative piece of
work and looks amazing with its ever so gorgeous marble ivory work.
The bungalows of cantonment:
As you take a drive through the cantonment area of Agra, you will witness plenty
of private bungalows or huge houses that were built in the era of the early 19th
century, all were designed with the low raised domes and the large u- shaped
Colonization in India also had its impact on the architectural style of the houses
and buildings. The Dutch, Portuguese and the French who lived in India made
their presence worthwhile by buildings architectural structures but it was English
who left the lasting impact.
In the year 1905, the artistically decorated building of the post office had been
constructed in the cantonment area of Agra. It is still a well-kept colonial structure
in the city. Painted with milk-white and the deepest red tint that is now the official
colors of Indian post.
The huge shaped windows, the narrow depth of the dome on top, and the strong
pillars. It is still in working and is a public building so it is accessible to everyone.
It is known that the first telegraph line in the country of India was started from
Calcutta (now, Kolkata) to Agra. The work of connecting telegraphically
from Agra to Calcutta was started in the year 1853 in November, and the work
was concluded in March’1854.
The first telegraphic message was exchanged between the capital of India,
Calcutta, and the capital of the north-west province on 25 March.
Queen-Empress Mary library:
This is a place least traveled by people of the city, but it is a place that was
constructed in the name of queen empress who first visited this place when
she arrived Agra. It was then, when the men and women of the era
decided to make this place come under colonial structures and the name was to
be kept as “Queen-Empress Mary library”. It is now under the care of a
Portuguese woman who spends most of her time in Goa.